Tuesday, February 14, 2012

So you want to be a Canadian, EH?

Marrying into the Canadian culture you are expected to live up to a few expectations. You are required to have at least one Christmas ornament with a Canadian Maple leaf on it,  you  must love(*and understand) hockey and know who Don Cherry is, and you have to have a Jack & Jill (otherwise known as a Stag &Doe, Buck & Doe or Wedding Social in other Provinces.)

"What is this?!" you may ask your American self. Well, in Canada a Jack & Jill (and other above mentioned titles) is a party held for an engaged couple. A hall or venue is rented and people buy entrance tickets. Generally there is a lot of liquor and/or beer behind a bar manned by members of the wedding party, a band or DJ (my first experience at a Southern Ontario Jack & Jill was complete with a live Country band and line dancing.. yeehhaww!), as well as prizes and silent auctions.

At first this may all seem a bit strange to a traditional American bride... But when I sat down and  thought about it I realized that all a Jack & Jill really is, is a slightly more booze-heavy version of a Bridal Shower where I get to dance..*and don't have to open presents in front of everyone I thought...this sounds like a great idea,EH?! :)

So feel free to come on over to Ontario if you are in need of a true Canadian Cultural experience this Memorial day weekend.

Jarvis Community Center
18 James St.
Jarvis, ON
May 26th 2012
8pm-1am

2 comments:

  1. I'll pencil you in! Big Sissy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you know I love a party. I will try to make it I have a brother getting married the following weekend in KY and so I'll just have to see. But maybe I could travel with your parents. Congrats and love the ring. Ev

    ReplyDelete